Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cleaning Step 2: Supplies for Cleaning the House

The truth is I hate to clean. I do like to have everything picked up and organized with little or no clutter around. I feel that if you put everything away it makes your house look much cleaner even if you have not scrubbed the floors or counters in a while. This is something I am always harassing my husband about because he is not one for putting things away. But to give him credit he usually will feel the need to dust or mop long before I deem it necessary. So I guess we even each other out. This is why I have a list and try to stick with it or else I might never clean!  Cleaning for me has to be simple, uncomplicated, and quick or I will not take the time to do it.

Before you start cleaning you must gather the supplies you need. Keeping your cleaning supplies in one place, such as a small basket you can carry around the house, makes cleaning so much easier. Here is what I have in my basket.

For all household cleaning
  • a squeezable plastic water bottle with a sports sip top filled with a 1 part vinegar 3 part water solution. I also add a teaspoon of tea tree oil.
  • lots of inexpensive wash clothes I probably have about 15-20 but you could easily clean with only 5
  • a small plastic container filled with baking soda
  • microfiber dusting clothes (I purchased mine at Target)
  • glass micro fiber cleaning clothes (another Target purchase)
  • a firm bristle toothbrush (Preserve makes great ones out of recycled plastic)
  • a large firm bristled brush
  • Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle
  • A spray bottle of water
For floors I use
  • a broom and dust pan
  • a vacuum cleaner
  • microfiber mop with removable washable heads
Other nice to have but not essential cleaning items
  • steam cleaner one that uses nothing but hot water
  • toilet scrub brush
Now go gather your supplies and put them in one easy to get to space. How about under the sink? After you clear out all those individual toxic cleaners you should have plenty of room. Be sure to take those cleaners and dispose of them properly follow this link to find out more.

Gather your supplies this week and come back to learn how these item can be used to clean all areas of your home in Step 3.

No comments: