Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Toothpaste and Deodorant

Toothpaste
Did you know one of the ingredients in most toothpaste can actually cause canker sores? Well I use to get lots of those little guys in my mouth and they are painful. So when I learned about the chemical sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate Floride is a crock also. It is way more dangerous then good for you. I decided I would try making my own toothpaste. Well after a few trials I came up with a recipe I love. The best part is since I started using it in February I have not had one canker sore!!! Another bonus is that I use only food grade ingredients therefore it is safe for Andon. He loves it and when I started using it on his toothbrush he actually let me brush his teeth.

Toothpaste
8 TBS Baking Soda
4 TBS Hot Water
20 drops of essential oil for flavoring (peppermint, cinnamon)

Mix all ingredients and then place into a squeeze bottle.

Deodorant
Ok I have always sweated a lot no matter what I use so I thought going natural really could not be worse. I found through research antiperspirant that clogs your pores and stops sweat is all chemicals and there really is no natural remedy. I decided I would try an easy natural recipe first and see what happens.
I read that Apple Cider Vinegar is great at keeping you from smelling. The vinegar kills the bacteria that makes you smell. Vinegar is very cheep so I decided to try it. It worked so well I was amazed. I then started brushing on a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch to help absorb sweat. Together the two work well but my arm pits were becoming rough and dry. Now after showering I rub on a little lotion then spray with the apple cider vinegar and last I brush on my baking soda mixture. I still sweat sometimes but no more then I did with chemical deodorant in fact I think I am sweating less now then before.

Liquid Deodorant
Apple Cider Vinegar
A few drops of an antibacterial essential oil such as lavender
Place ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake to blend.

Deodorant Powder
Equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch
Place the ingredients in a jar and shake to blend.

Spray the liquid deodorant to underarm. Allow a few minutes to dry and then dust on deodorant powder with a makeup brush.

No comments: