I have done a few posts on green toys. We have a lot of them around our house, our favorite companies are Plan, Sprig, Anamalz, and Green Toys. Some of these toys are made from natural renewable materials and others are made of recycled materials, both of which are wonderful for kids and the environment. Although the first thing we usually think of when we need a gift for someone is to go down to Target and buy something. When trying to be eco-friendly running down to Target to get a present does not usually work. Unfortuantly even thought there are a lot of wonderful eco fiendly toys out there not a lot of them make it into the big chain stores. There are alternatives to buying a toy when a gift is needed some of these alternatives can actually be less expensive and greener then buying any toy. Here I put together a list of the different kids of eco friendly gifts for friends and family.
1. Items made from natural materials
2. Items made from recycled materials
3. Items that the recipient needs and that you know will be used such as: books, clothes, shoes, new cookware, paper- I know it does not sound all that fancy or fun but for some people a usable item is a wonderful gift. When ever we read a book or put on the cool shoes someone bought the kids we think of the person who gave them and how special they are.
4. Items handmade by the giver especially for the recipient. If you have a talent then use it.
5. Special playdates or trips- some ideas could be an afternoon at the park with a special picnic lunch, a morning at the movies with popcorn of course, or a trip to the zoo..something special that both the recipient and the gift giver can enjoy together.